Recent Designs

Friday, May 26, 2006

People & Places

I've been a slacker again...I've been posting challenges and haven't had time to get over here and do them. So here it goes:
Thursday's Challenge was to talk about someplace you've been but have never scrapped. For me...it's probably Yellowstone National Park. I remember as a child going on a family vacation for like a week in Yellowstone with my cousins. My mom put together activity books {which I recently found} and it was an amazing time....there were still bears around then! Then when I met my husband he began working in Yellowstone for the road construction company he works for. After we got married he was sent there....good thing it's only 1.5 hours away. He had to work all summer, 90 hours per week, often working at night. He lived in a little camp trailer and I went there to visit him on the weekends. It was such a stressful time for him and for us. However, I really enjoyed the beautiful scenery and our drives around the park exploring. Our oldest daughter was even conceived there. We rarely go back because Steve spent so much time there and got sick of it. I guess I should scrap about it, huh?

Friday's Challenge is to write about someone in your life that's gone that you've never scrapped about since it's Memorial Day Weekend. The easiest {or perhaps the hardest} thing for me to do would be to scrap about my mom...but I've done that already. So I started thinking about this and realized that I've never done a layout about my grandmother. My dad's mother was an amazing woman! She had the biggest heart and loved God so much! She had a hard life and went through far more than we ever knew until after her death. I have so much memorabilia from her early years....World War II stuff from the men she dated, pictures of her as a young child and pictures of my dad as an infant. I truly think my grandma was the person who inspired me to take pictures....that woman carried her camera everywhere she went and always had one of those little steno notepads, the tiny ones, in her glove compartment {and in her purse before she drove}...she'd actually write down every picture she took so she'd remember exactly where and when it was when her film was developed. I am so lucky to have many of those pictures and I really need to scrap some of them. I feel so blessed to have been left with so much memorabilia from my family....I guess I've put off working on it because I want to do just the right thing with it!

3 comments:

ashlee said...

i wish i had more family memorabilia. lucky you. Im sure whatever you do with it will be beautiful!

Bobbie said...

Great entry. Both are going to make some great layouts!

Rebecca said...

I agree with Bobbie..both subjects will make great layouts..thanks for sharing.