Recent Designs

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Getting Ready for the Big Week


This week is going to be so crazy for us! Camryn turns 6 on Tuesday and we're leaving to head up to Coeur d'Alene on Wednesday night for Easter. I'm really not that excited about driving all night, but Steve has class and I don't want to miss out on an entire day by driving on Thursday. Hopefully the girls will sleep the whole way there. Guess I'll be drugging myself with caffeine to stay awake during the 7+ hours it takes to get there.

The girls are so excited to see Grandpa. I personally think Camryn is even more excited because she'll be getting more birthday presents from Grandpa, Auntie and her cousins. She is the funniest kid. I can't count how many times over the past week she's said "I can't believe it's almost my birthday!" Hope it's not a big disappointment when it actually arrives.

So......this brings me to thoughts on birthday parties. I grew up having some kind of birthday party every year. Whether it was with friends or just with some of our extended family....we celebrated! These occasions are something I remember and cherish about my childhood. Steve, on the other hand, doesn't think kids need parties every year. I suppose this theory comes from his childhood in which they didn't have parties every year...whether with friends or family. This has been a sore spot more than once between us. He thinks it's rediculous to have a little party every year. He has gone along with it because it's important to me...but he's not always happy about it. I want my kids to have those memories of parties and look back at pictures of each year to see what kind of cake they had........just like I do. My mom has been gone for nearly 4 years now. I can't go back and ask her about my past birthdays. But with amazing pictures of cakes, presents and the birthday girl every year....I remember bits and pieces. These are great memories for me. I hope my girls have the same grateful memories!

1 comment:

Amy W. said...

I find it rather sad that Steve didn't have a party each year, even if it was just with a few family members. I strongly believe life should be celebrated. I would LOVE to celebrate BIG TIME for my children every year but financially hubby thinks it's obsurd...so we alternate years. It don't have to be costly....more so...memorable. ;>